Thursday, March 19, 2009

Inspiration

Lisa's post this week is encouraging me to post about a few life transitions I am experiencing, too. Good ones. Interesting.

Rebekah's post is encouraging me to type out a beautiful, inspiring poem a friend (Miss Arnila the Amazing) gave me about a year ago, that is tacked up on the wall of my office.

The poem is easier to post tonight. So here. By Luci Shaw.

if you care for me

speak to me without words
in a spiral of starlings
thrown into a bank of wind, scarves
of an invisible dancer
making the sky a stage

Make a negligent gesture like
the drop of a chestnut at my feet
the glossy nucula bounding out of its spiky casing
rolling to me, a gift round
and brown as a chocolate cream

Caress me with a curtain of dew
on my moonlit skylight, or boulders
shining under their clear skin
of rain. In the rock garden
a crimson cosmos articulates
its bright, small world. Speak
to my eyes in syllables of light
and color, if you care for me

Remind me about space as
I watch the finches
peck at the wind in the balsams. The doe
cleaves the air current over
the ribbon of creek. The great
blue heron elbows it way up
through gaps wild with branches
and you are opening
for me, too, a new passage
between the trees

By the way you breathe dead leaves
into a small whirlwind of fire
show me, if you care for me, how you can
lift me from the dust,
light me like tinder


Hmmm. Looks like the poem leads nicely to talking about being lifted from the dust and lit like tinder. Hmmm. I'm kinda there over the past couple of weeks. Cool.

More later on Jesus and dust and tinder and passages through the trees.

2 comments:

Liann said...

That is a beautiful poem.

Risa said...

This poem is breathtaking... I just had to order one of her books from Amazon. :o)