Sunday, December 13, 2009

from 12-11-2009

You gave me starlings this morning
hundreds and hundreds

stretched out like long tides

over the snow

above my car

in front of my nose

with a pink sunrise in the rear view mirror


each new wave perked my cheeks higher

while the carols played

until I was broad-smiling in spite of myself

and had eyes with that "I know it's You" look in them


thank You

now, I will watch for Christmas gifts from You each day


I still caught myself for a moment, though, looking about in the car

for someone to point it out to


it seems my heart is not in a hurry to stop

wishing there was someone

here with "skin on"


to cuddle, snuggle, laugh, argue, wade the waters with


but for now, and for however long, You've said, "no"


not because I am

a failure

ugly, mean

loud, uncouth

selfish

unworthy


but because You have said, "no"

and that's enough to know


but You gave me starlings this morning

because You love me


and they thrilled my eyes and heart


so I will wait on You

to learn how to have

starlings

sunrises

music

snow

and You


cuddle me, snuggle me


because I do have skin.

7 comments:

Bonni said...

This is really beautiful. Even ol' married ladies need to remember this sometimes. He is enough...

Both Fex said...

::smiles::

Anonymous said...

I like it! The Mc

Crystal Keilers, that's me. said...

Major goosebumps. Powerful words, love it.

Anonymous said...

He speaks in wordless beauty
and calls our hearts to see
the starlings in His laughter
shared with you and me

the sunrise is His promise
glowing bright each happy morn
to heal the hurts and longings where 'ere our heart is torn

to praise Him, his desire
to know Him. eternal bliss
be ye Mr., Mrs, ms.
or simply just a Miss

the skin on sort of being
will fail us in the this test
so cling to unseen Spirit
and there will find your rest

Oh, daughter of my treasure
Oh, heart so kin to mine
ever sharing inspiration
held dearly, every line

put pen to paper daily
your thoughts sent each and all
a cherished consolation
when 'ere our crest did fall

sally said...

this post brought tears to my eyes

and i didn't know your dad was poet

wow! great poem!

sally said...

i meant great poems!
two of them
yours and your dad's