Wednesday, January 31, 2007

$3 Worth of God

A friend at headquarters shared with me something that was presented at the training for our new missionary candidates. It gave me things to ponder, and I thought others might enjoy it as well. It was presented as part of an introduction to our theology of mission.

“Could it be that instead of embracing God’s whole agenda, the church has settled for $3 worth of God?

I would like to buy $3 worth of God please
I want just $3 worth
  Just enough to equal a soothing cup of warm milk
  Or a snooze in the sunshine
  Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep
Enough of God to make me feel love and forgiven
  But not so much to make me love and forgive others
  Not so much that it will make me seek justice for the   oppressed
  Or to embrace the person with AIDS
  Or make room for the refugee
  Or to feed the hungry
Just $3 worth please
  Enough to snack on for two Sunday morning hours of bliss
I want ecstasy
  Not transformation
I want the warmth of the womb
  Not the terrible pain of new birth
Give me a pound of the eternal
  $3 worth of God please
  And could you put that in a brown paper bag…”

Adapted from Tim Hansel

I don't know that this requires much commentary from me. Except to say, I often only seek $3 worth, indeed.

Here's to infinite cost and infinite price. What's He worth to me?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wow. That's a great way of putting it. So often (like pretty much always) we settle don't we?

Risa said...

Ouch. That was painful, but oh so true...

Thank you for sharing!