Monday, May 29, 2006

Kathie's Third Commandment--yikes

I think I discovered today that at some point in life I made up a third commandment for myself, to follow the two from Jesus in Matthew 22:

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Kathie's unwritten, third, often sadly overtaking the other two, commandment:
"Thou shalt not inconvenience ANYONE, EVER. Amen."

Bummer. Just figured out today that this is probably not such a healthy idea. Been living the last 10 years or more pretty laboriously by it, though. And, for the record, I'll just put out there that I live the "mind" part of the first commandment, and since I have no desire to be particularly kind to myself, and am not my own biggest fan, number two probably doesn't get lived out in the way He intends.

As Liann pointed out, that means I am living and breathing a little over 1/3 of the things staked out as most important by the Lord I love. Plus monkeying it up with my own rules. Glad the Lord brought that to light today.

My counselor has me reading Changes That Heal, by Dr. Henry Cloud. I know people have opinions on both sides about Dr. Cloud and about such books, but I'll tell ya, for me at the moment, it's a pretty darn helpful thing to be reading. I have Liann's copy, and let her know today that I am marking the dickens out of it, and I hope she does not mind. Of course, she doesn't, and we actually spent time today comparing her underlines and starred places to mine that are getting added to the pages. Very cool and encouraging to see where she's been, how God has worked, and what He's continuing to do for both of us in this significant season of change at this house under the big oak.

Back to the inconveniencing thing. On the list of things I need to move from my head to my heart, there are many, many, many things I know, have heard, and have read. Thank God for Cloud pointing out plenty of those things just now when I will crash and burn if I don't start to get them. One that seems pretty obvious--"We are literally to draw from the love of God and others to fuel our transformation and fruit bearing."

I read that and realized that I see receiving love from others as nice, enjoyable, and pleasant. I never put it in the realm of "necessary." For me, though, it is "necessary," and my duty as well as my joy, to love others. I love you--absolutely and without doubt. You love me, God loves me--that's handy and lucky. And I'll eek out what I can without bothering you or Him too much.

Gross, I know. But that's the point. I have considered renaming this blog, "The Catalog." It's gonna be, I think, a list of things I am just starting to get, many of which make others say, "duh."

So, since I should be able to function just to care for others, without needing to be refilled (not seriously refilled, anyway), I take it to the extreme of not wanting to "bother" anyone about anything. I am happy to help bear your burdens, and I love you so much, I won't burden you with mine. Aren't I nice?

Reminds me of planning my first support-raising trip in the late summer of 2004. I kept checking with Chris and Rebekah to make sure that my staying with them was not an inconvenience or hassle or headache or bother or burden or hardship or discomfort. And, yes, I think I checked as many times as I have nouns listed there. Chris finally said, "Kathie, the only inconvenience is having to reassure you that you are not inconveniencing us." And he used his serious voice. I almost thew up, 'cause I knew I had been busted. And really, if I think about it, this broken idea in my head of not "burdening" others with anything, including struggles or worries or broken pieces of me, sounds a lot like my junior high and high school "Are you mad at me?" game, just with an adult spin on it. People will like me more if I am not messy and complicated, and can be what they want and need.

Definition of the classic codependent, you say? Ah, yes, I have a touch of it.

How could I miss that I need Him to fuel me, and that I need others in close relationship who can point me toward Him, who know when I am broken and empty, when probably my favorite verse is John 15:5, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

I need to expand my definition of fruit in my own head. My tree is pretty restricted to "task" fruit. Time for some character fruit.

Favorite quote thus far from Changes, p. 41: "The Lord accepts us fully, knowing that we will need time and experience to work out our imperfections. Our failures do not surprise him. If they surprise us, it is only because we have too high an opinion of ourselves."

Pow, right in the kisser!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a haymaker all right! Oh...that's gotta hurt! God and the smackdown! Thanks for blogging Sluss.

Both Fex said...

"Thou shalt not inconvenience ANYONE, EVER. Amen."

Oo, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach...

I have a friend who doesn't mind asking people (strangers even) for things/favors/what have you. Her philosophy: all they can say is "no" right? I'm continually horrified at this concept, it doesn't matter how often I see it played out. The thought of putting a person in a place where they have to tell me "no" is abhorrent. Lately, I've relized (I don't believe I'm admitting this) its not because I'm so damn conscience of the needs of others, or even that I think I'm too strong to need a thing/advice/a shoulder to cry on/prayer, but because if I ask someone for something, they may give it to me and then... I'll owe them. Gach. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

It's not that I don't want to minister to others, to give of myself, pray, do, in fact I have no problem with that, it's just in accepting anothers giving I feel that because I have accepted a kindness I owe them. It's so wrong. I KNOW I should be able to accept God's blessings via others and let them be blessed in the giving and yet still that twisted reaction. Like I have to pay them back. Does that even make sense?

God's grace is that I'm emotionally messy. Joy, hate, fear, anxiety, gladness, sadness, anger, love all just bubbles up and out of me. People can pretty much see when I need help (or rather hear the loud ranting/lamenting/sobbing/etc). It's the same with joy and any number of emotions. So the lesson of late has been to remind me that I'm beloved, not for anything that I can do or be (heck, if I could be stoic I would it's so much cooler), but because I am His. And whenever I feel like I shouldn't ask or bother it begins bubbling up in me...

"beloved"
"Beloved"
"BELOVED"

I am loved and needed and I love and need, they go hand in hand those giving and receiving emotions. Can't have one without the other. I can't stand apart from the receiving any more then I can from the giving. Christ gave me Himself whether I would accept it or no, it is the same with His other gifts. I can't accept one gift from Him and not another. If I accept His salvation (read: help) I also accept His help in other areas/times of my needy life. I need Him and the Body He's blessed us with. They are His gifts to us His bride, even me, the sick puppy that I am.

Now I'm going to go and gargle.

Grace and Peace to you Beloved Sister.

Kathie said...

Yup--makes sense. I gots in me a HIGH degree of not wanting to be in debt. There's a story about it coming out in my prayer letter in June. Maybe I'll publish that snippet in here in advance of that. My trip to the Middle East finally made me face my reciprocity issues. I also threw up a little.

I feel like I am lopsided enough in some/lots/most of my spiritual life that I should actually be walking with a limp :)