Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Magic in the Little Things

I was told tonight (in a good way--not like, "Man, you got told!") that sharing about the simple, beautiful, pure things in life is worth it. It was in the context of why I had chosen not to blog (or, more accurately, specifically rebelled against doing it) before now. My answer mostly has to do with not wanting to contribute to the insanity of media noise already in the world. The cacaphony on the internet, radio, satellite radio, podcasts, MP3s, television, cell phones...you name it...drives me nuts, and I think in many ways is deeply unhealthy.

Plus, what the smack do I have to say that anyone gives a rat's tooie-tooie about? But that's another issue...

In response to my musings about whether small, silly things belonged on my blog, my poet-preacher friend pointed out Philippians 4:8--"
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Dr. Skaggs said that in the midst of a world of "noise", sharing about the sweet and pure and everyday is magic.

I can't argue with a treasured passage of scripture (as well as the basis of one of my favorite Wes King songs, Good News), or with the value of some joy in the mundane, so here's a tidbit of magic for tonight.

Hope you're ready after this big lead in...

I have an enormous raspberry on my left knee.

It's still humongous today, Wednesday, and I got it on Sunday. It spent the first two nights under a bandage soaked in Neosporin--the kind with the pain killer, 'cause the sheets against it hurt!

Why is it pure, lovely, admirable, excellent? Did I get it rescuing people from a burning building? Did I win the softball title by sliding into home just under the touch of the catcher's glove? Did I wrestle a 500-pound gorilla away from an old lady trying to cross the street?

Nope. Got it giving horsey rides, lots of them, to Poncho, Denver, and even to Born Dancin' (with the help of Joanna propping her up and walking next to me while she rode). I was in comfy new Eddie Bauer shorts, galloping up and down the hallway and through my mom and dad's bedroom and living room on Sunday during our family Memorial Day BBQ.

Aunt Kaffie has a new rule--horsey rides when she is in jeans ONLY! I had no idea that rug burn is like sunburn and worsens as the evening goes along! Yee-ouch!

However, I have also never been prouder of a boo-boo. I think I have worn shorts every day since Sunday just to show it off ;) I feel like a cowboy. I mean, cowgirl.

Um, no. I mean, Trigger.