Monday, September 03, 2007

On Reading Romans 8

I have heard sermons and read books on certain topics, and sometimes I take in what is suggested so completely that it eliminates other truths. Things like "all we do should be for God's glory" make perfect sense to me, but sometimes it pushes out other things.

Last Tuesday was hideous because I felt completely defeated by my inability to accept God's love, or even begin to understand a wink of it, beyond His generosity in not wiping my sorry self off the face of the planet. I was almost incapacitated by the emptiness I woke up with at 3:30 that morning--almost incapacitated, but also angry. Angrier than I have ever felt, I think. I was sick to death of not comprehending in even the tiniest way this core part of God's character. I can't get over this brick wall in my core that says that all joy waits until after this life--unbiblical as that is. What made it worse was that I felt I had gotten a glimpse of it in March and April--where the hell did it go? Say that sentence with a lot of venom, and you have me in the wee hours of the morn last week.

I went to work 90 minutes later than usual, because I felt like I could not move--and if I did, what was the point? I cried the whole 2 1/2 hours I was in the office, I felt so frustrated and defeated. God bless my amazing brother for being a patient, loving voice in a Google chat that morning, gently pointing out all kinds of things my vision is skewed about, including spiritual attacks--geez, I miss him. And right about the time I decided I couldn't stand to be at work one more moment, he recommended I go home and just rest in Jesus and try to let some things soak over me. So at noon I left.

I also had a very quick text chat with Tony before I shut down the computer, and in that I asked him to pray for me, but did not want to take the time to explain the specifics of why. As I drove home, he called my cell and wanted to know what was going on so he could pray more effectively. I pulled over next to a bunch of cows and tried to keep it short. I explained quickly that I was struggling to understand God's love for me, and I can't figure out how to get out of "performance" mode, even though I know it's theologically unsound. And that it made me feel so awful I had to leave work. He suggested I spend some time in Romans 8. And God bless Tony, who does not say, in the midst of my sniffling, "My dear, I am here in the jungle of Sudan trying to run a training workshop, with a horrific case of typhoid, so sick I can barely function. And your problem is what?"

Romans 8:1-4, (NLT) with parts that struck me late last Tuesday night, the end of a wretched day, in bold...
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit

Here's what came to me suddenly, suddenly, just before midnight on Tuesday.
___________

I bought that "it's not about me."
I bought it so completely that I wiped myself off the map.

I bought that "it's about God's glory."
I bought it so completely that I figured that this means nothing for me, except salvation, and I am selfish to want anything. That somehow I am selfish to wish for anything except to be a tool, a means, an invisible stone on the path to more people seeing Christ.

This is why there is no love in my schema.

If it's not about me, but all about Him, I need to adore Him, but not need anything in return—not even love.

Where is the relationship, the fullness between, or in, the truths of "God's glory" and "God so loved"?

That's why the family love and human child metaphors don't always work for me to understand God's love. People ask how I can struggle so much with this when I have a family that loves me so dearly, and I don't doubt their love. I know it's not about Mom and Dad's glory, so I am not a tool to something. I know Michael and Joanna don't want their kids to worship them.

God is different.

But similar.

How?

I need freedom. Freedom to say I want to be loved by the Creator. I want a life with someone. I want to know what Tony means to me. I want God to know all the brokenness in me and still love me. I want Tony to know all the brokenness in me and still love me.

I want to know God's voice when I hear it. I want to trust it when I do. I want to trust Him when He's quiet.
____________

It was a better night's sleep. And it was a better week. And God has been faithful to just keep dosing this new insight a little more each day. The view is shifting a little at a time. Things like Romans 8:15-17 (CEV)...
God's Spirit doesn't make us slaves who are afraid of him. Instead, we become his children and call him our Father. God's Spirit makes us sure that we are his children. His Spirit lets us know that together with Christ we will be given what God has promised. We will also share in the glory of Christ, because we have suffered with him.
Thanks for letting me share. See, Liann? The dimmer is only there on the Sluss once in a while--I am still so extreme. Pray for the dimmer to get firmly planted in me, so I can see all the shades in things, not just the light off or on. That I will start to thrive in relationship view, not right or wrong view. I want to see lots of facets of the face of God at once--not just a myopic view of one at a time.

I trust it will come.

Hugs all around.

4 comments:

sally said...

o goodie--i get to post the first comment!

One of the things I remember from the C.S. Lewis conference was Paul Ford talking about prayer as unveiling ourselves before God, with all of our REAL wants and needs, not what we think we ought to want. He used a quote from C.S. Lewis that went something like "whatever is the content of our thoughts must be content of our prayers." I think that sort of honesty in our prayers allows our relationship with God to grow because it allows God to love us THE WAY WE ARE, which is exactly how he loves us.

I also remember Paul Ford presenting the 3 questions that C.S. Lewis's used for help with discerning God's will. (1) What is God's JOY for me? (2) What is real? (3) What is my present duty? I especially liked the first question which implies that we are to think of God's will for us as God's greatest joy and delight in and for us.

love

sally

sally said...

Kathie, you might enjoy the book i am reading called "Essence of Prayer," by Ruth Burrows. Here are some quotes from the first chapter, so that you can judge whether or not you might enjoy it as much as I am (I haven't finished it yet):

"Almost always when we talk about prayer, we are thinking of something *we* do and, from that standpoint questions, problems, confusion, discouragement and illusions multiply. For me it is of utmost importance to correct this view. Our Christian knowledge assures us that prayer is essentially what *God* does, how God addresses us, looks at us. It is not primarily something we are doing to God, something we are giving to God but what God is giving to us. And what God is doing for us is giving us the divine Self in love."

...

"...divine Love desires to communicate Its Holy Self to us. Nothing less! This is God's irrevocable will and purpose; it is the reason why everything that is, is, and why each of us exists. We are here to receive this ineffable, all-transforming, all beatifying Love. Well instructed Christians know this notionally, but alas few know it really. And here I must add an important reminder that knowing it 'really' does not mean knowing it 'feelingly'. To know really--or to really know--means living that knowledge, living out of it. It means that our way of looking at things, our attitudes, our actions arise from this knowledge. Of this real knowledge we use the word faith. ... My experience tells me that real faith is rare and it is best we acknowledge this so that we may really work at believing."

...

"Basing ourselves, therefore, on what Jesus shows us of God, we must realize that what we have to do is allow ourselves to be loved, to be there for Love to love us. It cannot be a matter of our finding someway of contacting God, of making God real to us, of getting hold of a secret key with which to open the mystic door."

...

"What does it mean in practice to say we must be there for God and let God control our prayer, let God act? Does it mean we remain inert, absolutely passive? No, decidedly not! The essential thing we have to do is *believe* in the enfolding, nurturing, transforming Love of God which is *the* reality: the reality that is absolutely, totally there whether we avert to It or not. Prayer, from our side, is a deliberate decision to avert to It, to respond to It in the fullest way we can."

...

"If we are convinced that this is the heart of prayer, this basic decision to remain open to the inflowing of love, then we shall understand that we can choose any method we like to help us maintain this basic desire and intention."

...

" We must remember that prayer takes place at the deepest level of our person and escapes our direct cognition; therefore we can make no judgment about it. It is God's holy domain and we may not usurp it. We have to trust it utterly to God."

...

"To maintain this simple, trusting exposure to divine Love inevitably means resisting the temptation to 'make a success' of prayer. ... Keeping our deepest heart exposed, refusing to usurp God's place by making ourselves the agent, the giver, will mean that most often we have no sense of having prayed well or having prayed at all."

Liann said...

Now that's was not a sissy la la blog. You go, Sluss. We've had many a time together where the truth of scripture is the only thing that makes sense. Why don't we remember that!?!!
"Nothing can separate us from the love of God. Neither death, nor life, nor angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow-not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below--indeed, nothing in all creation(even our own lameness, stubborness or stupidity or Slussyness)will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord!

What a stupendously awesome promise. You can't stop him from loving you.

XOXOXO!

orneryswife said...

His mercies are new every morning. I will not EVER truly grasp the depth or width or breadth of His love for me, as it is not within my human power to do so. However, my knowledge of it has no bearing at all on its existence, and my acceptance of it has everything to do with its impact on my life.

It is a lifelong learning process, this understanding where we fit into the kingdom of heaven on earth, but as we continue to seek Him early, He promises we WILL find Him. How wonderful!!

Our problem, I think, is that we want it NOW! But in His infinite wisdom, He doesn't blast in like a fireworks display, but gently unfolds His plan for us like the opening of a flower. The quick beauty of the lights lasts but a moment, but the fragrance of the bloom lasts for years, even long after the beauty of it has faded.

For me, maturity comes as I learn to wait on the bloom instead of expecting the fireworks, and with maturity comes the knowledge that no matter how long I have to wait, no matter how complicated the path to get there, His plan is worth it.

My pastor regularly urges us to see things as God does, "seeing the end from the beginning." I pray you will continue to walk in faith that He will bring you the desires of your heart which is turned toward Him. Hugs and prayers for you today!
Tracy