Saturday, February 09, 2008

mit Liebe aus Deutschland

By the way, I just want to mention that I have soup-started at least five quality, actual content-driven posts in the past month. They are all just sitting in my "Edit Posts" box. Oh well.

So, if you saw my Goodreads update, you know I am reading The Shack. Liann dug it, Beth dug it--good enough for me.

There's a ton I could say about what it's making me think, like reading about how Jesus points out to Mack that he is always planning for an imagined future of troubles and difficulties, and in his plans, God is never there. So all Mack's plans are about the best he can do to cope on his own with a picture that is astoundingly unlikely to be accurate.

Ouch. That smarts where I live.

But tonight I just want to say that I love the parts where one of the Trinity is always telling Mack that it's about Love. The whole God story is about relationship and love. And it's making me realize how often I do these two things:
  1. Act as if God is outside of me and acting upon me, rather than residing inside of me and asking me to surrender control and let Him act through me.
  2. Function under all kinds of prayers constantly asking God to stop me from doing things (being too loud, getting carried away and controlling conversations, saying things in a crowd that could hurt someone or that will shame the Lord--notice a "Kathie-Big Mouth" oriented theme here?), rather than asking Him more often to do certain things through me--like love people better, extend more grace, etc.
Suddenly, I don't want to just shut up more often or be quieter so that I will be less offensive through the absence of my voice. Instead, I want to love people better. I want Him to control my speech not so I don't make a blithering mistake, but so people can leave feeling like they were loved well. And that they caught a glimmer of Jesus.

Could sound a little presumptuous and arrogant, I know. And the next person that I hurt may well bring my nose right back to this blog post. I at least want to say that I tried to let myself live out of God's positive love rather than a negative void.

Hope my theology isn't off the deep end in this. It could be the Ambien talking.


Jesus, cause me to love people well.

4 comments:

Liann said...

She's back!!!!

Kathie Slusser in da house!

A very cogent theology there, my friend. That old question "Where else would we go?" is turning into "Why would we NOT go?" to the love of our lives.

Michael Slusser said...

Amen and hallelujah for a little perspective.

I reiterate what I've said to you before: I was shocked that for so long you've been laboring under the idea that every conversation and interaction is rife with the threat of misstep on your part resulting in pain, suffering, and/or deep injury on the part of others. Man—I'd never even get out of bed in the morning if I were worried about that. How much more you, you who are caring and respectful of others?

And not a thing you've said is presumptuous or arrogant—your hopes are precisely what God commands us to. You are made in the image of God, and you are growing daily more like Jesus; we should see Him in you, and your desire to reflect that is wholly right and natural.

And if anyone you "hurt" makes you think otherwise, send them my way, 'cause I'll sock them in the snoot. Then they'll know what actual hurting is...

orneryswife said...

Sounds like sound doctrine to me! I am posting some bling for you Wednesday a.m. Just so you know, and in case you want to add a little festivity to your sidebar!

I love it when you post, and even better when your brother comments. He is one good commenter! I hope I never make you think otherwise, because I SO like my snoot right where it is! :0 Enjoy Germany!
TM

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I enjoyed your thought process in this Love Discovery...

I deeply desire to be just 'a suit of clothes for Jesus to wear' -

May God be glorified in the moments we desire to share Him in light and in truth. And sometimes sharing Him is simply in an act of listening.

But... after one night of listening to you. I was encouraged and uplifted. So, don't always be the listener!!!! Better to listen to God and follow His lead on that one ;-) Sometimes talking, sometimes listening - doesn't it always boil down to a balancing act - YIKES! Balancing on His Fulcrum!!!!!!