Monday, February 11, 2008

Humbled and Happy

Well, let me just get right out on the table that Holly's post was a surprise blessing--I had no idea God would use my rambles last night in such an encouraging way. Yeah, Jesus!

I am not kidding--I was on Ambien. Which, on a side note, sadly though, seems to be quite similar to Iocane Powder. Apparently, I have spent the last few years building up an immunity to Iocane Ambien. Phooey.

Anyway, Holly's post, in turn, gave me something to munch on today. How often do I let people hang my long ago past over me in a way that God never, ever would? I was created and redeemed by a God who, when I have repented and turned from my sins, has cast them AWAY, who recalls them no more, who says to me when I bring them up again, "WHAT are you talking about?" But I let
people who do not forgive me, or who like to feel slightly superior by bringing up my failures over and again during dinner (as if God was surprised for one moment by them when they happened), determine how I view myself and my relationship with my Father? When I have been repentant and He has restored and renewed me, and I am living in a spirit of longing to be more like Him?

Ummm. Wrong. There are times for confrontation in a community. However, after someone has repented and changed is not one of them.

B
ut here's the coolest part for tonight, here from Germany: it bothers me WAY more that someone would do that to Holly, to someone I love, more than it bothers me that someone would do it to me. To someone who has surrendered to God so deeply and well, you want them to stop growing and be in despair? I want to swim the Atlantic and get home and pound anyone who dares to throw any part of Holly's life back in her face and use it to question her faith or the Jesus she loves.

And if I am that amped up over a precious friend, how much more is God grieved when we don't completely accept and own and believe and rest and revel in the grace He has poured out on us, on me, His Beloved? Holly referred to Romans 5:1-5, which has some of my favorite verses, because it just amazes me. Verses 1 and 2 in the NIV say:
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.
The "grace in which we now stand." We are in it this moment--the unclean and smudge removed off of us and out of us doesn't come later, when we get to Heaven. We are standing in gorgeous grace, perfectly clean, now.

I wonder if Holly would like The Message version:
By entering through faith into what God has always wanted to do for us—set us right with him, make us fit for him—we have it all together with God because of our Master Jesus. And that's not all: We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that he has already thrown open his door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand—out in the wide open spaces of God's grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise.
Not only are we standing in the wide open space of His grace we long for, but we are standing tall and shouting praise.

Sing loud, Holly; sing REALLY loud.

And I love Chris for the rockin' comment about not knowing or caring what the sins are--he knows her now, as she stands NOW in His grace, and her fellowship is precious. We are precious.

Love you, girl, and love you all.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Crying as I type. You always seem to know what to say to whip me back into shape. You are right. My repenting is between me and God. He and I are the only one's responsible for my salvation. I know that God has forgiven me for my sins, I just wish others could/would be even half as gracious. Maybe, just maybe, it's me that has to do the forgiving!