Wednesday, March 26, 2008

More People Read This Than I Think Read This

It has been a week of being reminded that there are lurkers out there who appreciate when I post. I don't know why. But it's a nice little motivator to do it again.

I haven't posted a ton mainly because I don't quite know what to do with me. I am in one of those places (again) where I am fussy, fussy, fussy and grumpy, grumpy, grumpy about the fact that I am fussy, fussy, fussy. There is an unpublished blog entry that I started on January 11 that is titled, "Who Am I to Be?" And somehow the intellectual answer of "all God has made me to be" wasn't cutting it, because I don't know who or what that is.

My job has changed a ton in the last year. I am not particularly good at it. Do I stick it out and try to rise to the occasion, or get somewhere where I know what I am doing?

I love my new house. I want to make it homey and welcoming and have people come and be refreshed and relaxed there. I want to serve yummy food and have the guest bedroom and bathroom be just what every person who comes in the door needs it to be. But I am not there enough to make that happen, and I don't know how to cook and I don't particularly enjoy doing it, and I do still like my job enough that I am content to come home after a full day of work and pass out and be glad there is no one who needs my hospitality, and in fact, I would kinda appreciate being tended to. What do I do with all that? Which person am I? Which person am I supposed to be?

It stinks to live alone but I don't want a roommate because I want the house to be available for my family and friends and visitors whenever I want. I want to have my cake and eat it, too.

Wah, wah, wah.

AND...I realized this other weird thing today. I keep wanting to be quiet and subdued and blend into the crowd more, but when I do that, people think there is something wrong with me. I have been in a funk, sure, but here in the office and stuff it just means I am calmer and quieter and more task-focused and less goofy and less talky and more to the point.

I can't tell you the number of people this week who have called, left notes, or stopped by to check on me to see if I am okay.

Why aren't they just happy I am quiet for once?

So, what does that say, if anything, about me trying to be more introverted, and, (forgive me) be more typical Christian-girlie
-be-seen-and-not-heard-nice-lady, and not be so bloomin' silly? People are freaked out, and kinda depressed about it. What is that?

And a friend I hadn't talked to in a while, who I finally caught up on the end of the Tony story, said yesterday, "It was so wonderful that you let people in on this experience and your heart process through the last year. What a gift that was to people."

What? I said thank you, and I would try to think about it that way, but mostly I just think people would have appreciated me keeping my yap shut a little more frequently. She said, "Oh no, people should be more transparent like that more often. We aren't open enough about the real issues in our lives."

So why do I feel so flippin' bad about being me so much of the time, and I invest all this energy into trying to be different, and that doesn't seem to fit the bill either? If being more "me" is the right way to go, why do I balk against it so much?

And how does that cool thing Beth posted by C.S. Lewis fit into all that?

So, there you go.

4 comments:

Chris said...

You are who God made you to be.

You are becoming who God wants you to become.

That depends on Him - not on you.

Sheesh - just read your "About Me". You know all of this, don't you? (Duh!)

Anyhow, maybe a good reminder at any rate.

Also - we all LIKE how God made you.

orneryswife said...

Tomorrow is the last session in the Bible study I have been taking this spring called "Because of Jesus." It is a study on the Proverbs 31 woman from the perspective of the finished work of Jesus. The whole premise of the study is not that we strive to be what God wants us to be, but that we are already all those things in His eyes. We ARE virtuous. We ARE worth more than rubies. We ARE righteous. The fruit of all those things comes from simply abiding in Him.

When I started blogging a year ago, I was in exactly the same place that you are--wondering what I "want to be when I grow up." (Although at 48, I'm thinking that might be an inappropriate question!) What has happened over the past year is that I have discovered that just being in relationship with Jesus is enough.

Knowing He resides within my heart, is there to help me face any moment of loneliness, frustration, overwhelmedness, tiredness, indecision, or any other of the many moods I experience, has been a wondrous feeling. Simply closing my eyes, and going to the secret place in my heart where He is enables me to connect with His power to overcome any of those "funky" feelings. He fills me with His joy and peace, and I am able to accomplish whatever the task at hand may be.

I pray that the promises of God will become your experience, not only on the spiritual plane, but on the physical plane, also. I pray that hope will rise up in your heart, so that you will be living in expectation of all the great gifts He has provided for you, so that when they manifest you will be able to quickly and fervently implement them into your life. And finally, I pray that you will see yourself as God does--through the filter of Jesus and the righteousness with which you have been given. You are blessed, and you are a blessing! Amen!
TM

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

haven't known you long - but I happen to find you absolutely refreshing.

Both Fex said...

I've know her forever and I also think she's refreshing. Like springtime or Gatorade.