Sunday, April 13, 2008

Slussy, You Got Some 'Splainin' to Do

I am sorry I haven't asked more of you to pray for me. I just didn't know how. In the balance of all that is hard and challenging and heart-breaking in each of our lives, it seems like I have the charmed existence here in Boise. I can make all my own decisions, in my own adorable house, with a job that makes an effort to make a difference in broken places and people.

But for several weeks recently I have vacillated between anger, hopelessness, and, if I am honest, depression that makes me feel as flat as paper.

Paper has a hard time remembering to breathe.

Philip Yancey says that trying to determine what is "worthy" to be prayed about is one of the most arrogant things you can do. God says to bring it all.

Mostly, though, it's just been too hard to explain. Even as I type that, I realize I
probably could have at least telegrammed a while ago, "SOS STOP KATHIE SAD STOP TOO HARD EXPLAIN STOP PLEASE PRAY STOP"

Then some other short notes.

Things are falling off my plate. I don't know how to do my job well right now. I don't know what to do with this lawn I bought, or the fence, or the deck. I am incapable of making decisions. I can't buy presents for people the way I want to 'cause I bought a house and a lawn that baffles me. I don't know what to do about missing people so much--shouldn't that have slaked by now? I have run out of nice. I am clearly working in my strength if I have run out of nice, so I should be working in Christ's strength, and I evidently suck at that, so when is He showing up here because I have a meeting/task/person/whatever that I can't face barreling toward me, and I can't go in with a big red-eyed, tear-streaked, set-jaw, furrowed-brow, squinted-eyes, hanging-cheeks face. Can I?

Well, I did, actually. I went through days of getting the tears and snarling anger under control, but, as my nice boss put it, "You clearly don't have the joy of spring in you." He was one of many, many wondering what was wrong with me.

And it was too hard to 'splain.

Okay, let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

I read The Shack. I loved the portrayal of relationship and conversations and closeness of the Trinity and Mack. I want desperately to have an intimacy with the Father, Son and Spirit that meets all the holes and inadequacies in my life, and soothes over the mistakes and the cruelties, and celebrates with me the beauty and love that also exist in this world. I was deeply moved by the story, and felt this sudden possibility of a new worldview that would be different, better, more intimate. I couldn't find any bad theology in the story, but then I was suddenly wary of taking my imagination too far. There are people I know who have loved William P. Young's presentation of God, and others I know who would flip.

So I start to investigate the idea of, "How far can we actually go in envisioning God in ways less formal than a big throne, brilliant light, and angels abounding?"

Because, a little like Liann's mention of "future tripping" over on her blog, I couldn't just dive into enjoying this new freedom of coffee and pie and gardens and a lake with God. I needed to make sure it was okay, that it was appropriate, that it was right to be able to do that. Why? Because, what would I say when someone invariably asked me down the road what I had smoked when I decided it was okay to picture myself lying on my back next to Jesus on a dock, looking up at stars, and having chats about my day with him and not conversations of great doctrinal import?

So the study began to determine how close I could actually picture myself being to God, and in what context. Suddenly, even phrases people have said to me in the past, like "Just picture yourself crawling up into Jesus' lap and resting your head against him like a child, and letting him give you perfect peace," (sounds sweet, don't it?) seemed like big no-nos if I could not find Scriptural support for it. And nowhere does the Bible tell me to climb into Jesus' lap.

That led into questioning to the nth degree every verse, chapter and book I read, and that led, I kid you not, into panic that I would not read it right, understand it right, know the real thing I was supposed to know--that I would not get it right. What if I had the wrong Bible, the wrong interpretation, the wrong understanding of context, the wrong historical perspective, the wrong theology about it, the wrong doctrine being applied...the list goes on and on.

And what if I let myself be tricked into some cozy, warm, extremely personal and intimate view of God caring about me, and found out I was making something up in my head that was a lie? I feel it even now...my jaw sets with an underbite and my lips tighten and my eyes narrow...I will NOT be tricked, I say.

Which, in the short run, leaves me one of two places: frozen or cynical. So I have been riding the waves and edges of both lately, in their extremes.

There was a turn-around this week. A nice one. But I am tired now. Let me know if you want the rest of this diatribe. What I really want to do is buy everyone I love a new "Life is Good" shirt. But I am broke--no more fun, surprise presents from the Sluss. So you get this instead, if you want it.

8 comments:

Liann said...

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. I'm thinking that Phil 1:6 is happening, happening, happenin'!

Oh Sluss, it is hard, but it will get better and you don't have to give us anything! But thanks for the blog. I want more.

Corrina said...

I think God is mysterious... I wonder if that means we won't get it right... that we won't ever completely "know", you know?

Thanks for blogging Slussy. You don't ever have to get us stuff! That is just stuff! I'd much rather visit you and just play some scrabble.

I love you

Both Fex said...

The Shack did that huh? Well, don't read Peace Like A River then. I read that and it had the same sort of imagery- miracles for breakfast and Jesus coming around for supper.

I finished the book thinking, "what up?" Why don't I get that? It drove me to completely breakin' down at work and the poor church staff looking at the sobbing mass that was me like I was burning out. I was, I suppose, in a way. I was hungry. I AM hungry.

I want to be walking and talking with God in the cool of the day. I want the miraculous, I want Him everyday, out loud. Is that too much to ask?

I don't think so. In fact, the hunger, for all the pain it brings is good yes?

Let me hear the rest of your tale.

Kathie said...

Too late, Elizabeth. I am almost half through with Peace Like a River. And I am in love with it.

Good to at least know there are more tears coming. And, yeah, it's better to hunger than not.

Way to go on freakin' out the church staff :)

Holly said...

What do I say? You know how lame I am when it comes to the scripture stuff...I love you bunches and I wish there was more I could do for you. We had just a moment to talk while I was there and for that I am sad. You are so much better than you give yourself credit for. I think sometimes you believe God sees you the way you see yourself...you know how that chaps me, right? I suppose it goes along with me thinking that God could really never forgive me for the utterly gross things I have done in my life. When I peel back the layers, it's me that can't forgive me. God let it go the very second I asked for forgiveness. God loves you and knows, not thinks, that you are an amazing soul. Hard question alert-----Is it hard for you to believe that someone, be it God or any human, could love you so unconditionally? I feel like this is something that you have struggled with for years.

You know, I could have missed the point completely...wouldn't be the first time.

orneryswife said...

I actually came by because I have something for you at Miller Manor. Today is my blogoversary and I am having a little celebration. Thank you for all the comments you've left on my blog, and for your wonderful friendship. I probably should have left this on a different post, as my comment is certainly not in the spirit of the tone of your writing. You are still in my prayers and thoughts everyday. Hugs!
TM

Unknown said...

Okay, I have never EVER commented on your blog (or any other blog for that matter)- which must show because this is the second time I've had to type this response out! (Not sure what happened on the way to publishing the first one, but if you get this twice just delete one!) Anyway, it seems you've driven me into the land of "comments", so here goes ...

First, regarding your search for scriptural support for the idea of "climbing up into Jesus' lap" ... off the top of my head, and in no particular order, consider...Jesus drawing the little children to himself (granted it doesn't specifically say he put them in his lap, but it had to be close); John "the Beloved" pictured leaning his head on Jesus' chest at the last supper; the Father, not walking, but RUNNING to embrace the prodigal son when he finally returned from his wayward travels; and, the most intriguing reference that popped into my head (intriguing to ME anyway), is Jesus speaking to the church of Laodicia and saying "To him who overcomes, I give the right to sit WITH me on my throne." Hmmm...the one who overcomes 'lukewarmness' in the church can sit with Jesus on His own throne! I like that!

Are all of these genuine "proof texts" for your specific search? Probably not. But I think they are pretty compelling just the same! We all know that if you really want to you can split hairs on just about any doctrinal matter, which brings me to my second point. This is where my oh so scientific reasoning landed me some years ago as I comtemplated similar high and lofty ideas. My conclusion in this matter can best be summed up in a line from an old song from the 70's (yes, I'm dating myself!). It is this..."If Loving You is Wrong, I Don't Want to be Right!" And years later, that is where MY 'amen' continues to stand.

I'm so sorry you've been sad and I AM praying for you. But I do know it is only temporary (even when it doesn't feel that way). BTW, happy or sad, Jesus still thinks you are absolutely adorable and He is waiting for you to give yourself permission to join Him out on that dock. No worries, though, about when you are able make it out there...He is very patient.

sally said...

ohh, i been there, sort of, in my own way

not the same, really
except for the tears
the feeling out of place
and the doubting
of my experience with God

i had a melt down
on a retreat at valyermo
on the weekend of palm sunday
it all worked out in the end
i guess i finally just decided
to trust that what i call
my experience of God
is real or at least there
is something real about it
whether or not my understanding of it
is accurate

i trust that God won't let us
wander too far off track
when we are seeking him
so sincerely

for some reason
i am reminded of a time
back in graduate school
when i met a homeless person
as i was walking home
and invited him to join us
for dinner

he was rambling on
about how he had heard a sermon
on the trinity at a Lutheran church
and we was praying and asking God
if what the pastor had said
was correct

He said that God's answer was
"It's close enough."

That has always struck me
as something that is sooo much
the way God would say it.

anyway, it sounds like
maybe you are back right-side-up again

either way
i love you tons
and miss you

and i am so glad that you let us all
listen in on your Tony story


sally