Monday, February 16, 2009

DAWG

Luke 2:19 and 2:51 both talk about Mary treasuring the things she was experiencing, as a result of Jesus' arrival and growth, deep within her heart. She stored them and pondered them. She kept them to herself.

This would be quite different than my usual tack. I can keep things about others to myself, but all the things about me typically come blathering out on a blog or in someone's long-suffering ear.

I have to say, though, that those two verses have been coming to mind frequently in the past several weeks. Didn't know why. Like I said, keeping things that I am pondering to myself is, well...not what someone who has had written on every report card since kindergarten, "Bright, but a bit too social, and quite talkative," does.

I took a DAWG today (day away with God). Didn't really go away; it's cold here in Idaho, without too many wintery places to sit comfortably soaking in God's creation. I could have picked a coffee house or something, I suppose, but it doesn't make for a handy spot to burst into tears or yell out loud if God suddenly stirs something in ya.

So, I retreated to my upstairs bonus room. Nicely lit, sunny, spacious; kinda happy, actually.

And I had an interesting day. And, miracle of miracles, wonder of wonders, I feel led to ponder things in my heart, treasure them up, hold them dear. In the general scope, I was reminded that God will meet my every need, that any "needs" I dream up or things I think I require to function well are to be surrendered to him and forgiveness asked for, and that I don't have to hold in my heart or mind or spirit some schemed-up level of preparedness for different situations that may or may not ever crop up in my life or the lives of people I care about.

Their lives are not mine, and my life is not mine. Pretty simple.

Oh, yeah. I was reminded that I make so many things way too complicated. Step back, Sluss. It's just not that hard.

Manna for today. Listening to Him more than the world or people. Obedience and grace and love, not one of them at the exclusion of the others. He is good.

2 comments:

orneryswife said...

Color me slightly green--with envy-- for a quiet day to spend alone with God. Maybe Friday, once Ryan is gone, before Ale moves back, and while Dave is at work, I can take that time to re-engage with my loving Father and learn to make things less complicated!

Thanks for sharing your heart and your life. There are those of us who need what you have. Hugs!
tm

sorry about the deleted comment--I had some typos... ;)

Crystal said...

Wow, I have both goosebumps and tears. You spoke right into my heart this morning. As I'm sure you can imagine I was also the girl who was "bright, but a bit too social. Quiet talkative." I actually failed kindergarden (but, (cough), ahem, skipped first grade) because according to my teacher "Crystal is everyone's best friend, but she doesn't know her zip code." Needless to say, I too have trouble pondering "my" stuff. And a couple months ago that verse spoke to me too and I told my husband I wanted to be more like Mary in her pondering. :).

I love those "intentionally" extended times with God. I need one of those too. You've inspired me to plan it :)! Keep writing, you have a gift in communicating on paper.