Friday, February 20, 2009

Shambly and Scintillating

I sent this to Liann today; it just came out of my fingers when I typed. She liked it and said I ought to bloggy it.
I find I still keep trying, in spite of my overt intentions to embrace both joy and sorrow, simplicity and unavoidable difficulties, to smooth the water I swim in and make the air as still and comfortable to me as possible. My mind and mouth speak one thing: "There is no embracing you without the uncontrollable hard, God!", but my heart goes surreptitiously about the day with a trowel trying to smooth the cement, the atmosphere, the ocean--whatever I am in at the moment--and even trying to smooth my own interaction with the world, making me bring less of me to it. So very odd.

I war with myself. Paul was pretty smart.

I was worried about the fact that it was a huge mixed metaphor, but considering I am the daughter of a mixed metaphor master, she said I should own my heritage, and quit sweating about it because it ministered to her. Maybe it will minister to someone else, too...you never know.

I also told her
Your body is a shambly tent, but your heart is so gorgeous and restored and scintillating.

It applies to just how Jesus works in all of us, really (except Christian decathletes, maybe--their bodies are not so shambly). Lianni liked it, but she is jealous because she never thinks to use the word "scintillating".

Well, I never think to memorize all the American presidents in order. We're even, I think :)

1 comment:

Liann said...

George Washington
John Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
James Monroe
JQ Adams
Martin Van Buren
Andrew Jackson
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler

Sick! But really, all you have to do is drive south westward through Riverside and you get them all! We like maps and directions. Easy. And visually scintillating, in an urban ghettoish way.