Saturday, April 25, 2009

Coherent, Schmoherent

I have lots of things to share. Each day. Things that are interesting or funny or poignant. To me, anyway.

Problem with posting? I am an English major. Writing must be well-constructed, worthy of my typing time, and have a beginning, middle and end. Things like exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and dénouement.

Okay, I know. It's just a blog. But I like all those words :)

I have made a few decisions in the past couple months about changes in myself and my approach to the world, so I guess this could be one, too. Short blog posts. Quick and dirty. Spurt words and ideas and happenings out there. Increased frequency, lessened pondering.

Here goes.

There's a robin's nest outside my back door. I discovered the nest when I got home from a trip week before last. I peeked out the back door and saw something flapping in the porch light. Just up to the left, carefully constructed above the porch light itself, was a nest obviously made from the weedy things in my backyard. Some of the longer weeds were making shadows and noise in the light and wind.

Poor robin mama. She had a nice long stretch of no one here while she built the thing, completely unaware that it was right outside the back door. Now, I have to go in and out of that door, which means she gets spooked, flies off, bird curses at me a bit, and waits a while before she comes back to the nest. Happens when I open the blinds or walk too near the glass in the door, too. Poor thing.

I peeked into the nest about a week ago (had to get step ladder) and saw two very blue eggs. I am guessing there are more now, and they are closer to hatching, because she is on the nest more consistently and doesn't take as long to come back after she flies off. I hope I have some baby birdies out there soon!

Speaking of baby animals, why is it so much more fun to say, "Baby duck!" really loudly, than "Duckling!"? And "Baby cow!" instead of "Calf!"?

One of life's little mysteries. Just like me :)

1 comment:

Crystal Keilers, that's me. said...

I love what goes on inside of your head :)! Like the words "weedy things". I think witty people, like yourself, are the best bloggers. You naturally have great analogies and you can't avoid good sentence structure. I love posts like this. And if you end up with little robin babies, post pics!