Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Me and Mrs. Bird

Mrs. Robin Birdie outside the back door and I are having words. Her biological need to yell at me when I come outside and do something anywhere in the yard is not connecting with my reassuring explanations that I am not touching anything that belongs to her, namely her nest or eggs, and that I am actually bringing food out to the feeders. And, I tell her, she is not the only birdie in the yard, by the way.

Man, when she yells at me, it's like when you know your own mom's voice cutting through a crowd of strangers when you're being naughty; there's dozens of other birds nearby chattering away, but I can pick her out of the crowd and I know I am busted and she's letting me have it. Sheesh.

April wraps up tomorrow, and can I just say it's been a grand month? I had a birthday "intervention" and received strands of pearls from sweet friends, and got to wade in some ocean tides, wander amidst loads of flowers, hug my Mom on her birthday, kiss both my grandmothers, laugh at Wings with Liann like it was old times, watch Corrina yell at squirrels, slurp oysters with my dad, hang with Michael and Joanna, and get tackled by two nephews and a niece. I told my chiropractor that whatever being pounced on by two seven-year-olds and an almost-four-year-old cost me in my spinal alignment was more than made up for by the restored glow in my soul.

I had a mailbox and Facebook account overflowing with birthday love, and my own crock of cheese fondue yesterday at a special birthday lunch. Oh, fondue joy...

Plus, I got a great new straw hat. Now when I pull weeds in the yard and bop around to my new iPod, I look like the true crazy old lady in the neighborhood. Right on!












Thank you, Heavenly Father, for such dear friends and precious family. I am so, so blessed!

4 comments:

Liann said...

Wow Sluss, you sound like you are doing so well. Good season of joy. I'm so thankful. "Yeah...yeah...I'll own that!" said Joe Hackett.

orneryswife said...

Lovely post. Thanks for sharing all the fun and pix. Growing old isn't SO bad when we are so blessed, no?
tm

Crystal said...

Such a sweet window into your world. And your mom! I haven't seen her in like forever! How great you had such a sweet birthday. There's nothing like family :). You are without a doubt glowing :).

Crystal said...

Oh and I love your musings about you & Mrs. Robin.