Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Know what's cool about being a grown-up?

(That's being a grown-up according to my age, not to be confused with acting like a grown-up. I know you know this.)

You can decide that doing perhaps two moderately productive things when you come home is plenty. Then you can eat dinner and chill. You need not be productive all evening, 'cause I am the grown-up who lives here and I say so.

Spray some weeds and wash out the bird bath. Done. Time to chill.

Trim a few rose bushes and tidy up the lawn of the rocks that trickled into the grass from the new river rock installed in the flower beds yesterday. Oh, and replace the filter in the heater/air conditioner unit. That's three things! Done. Time to chill.

Okay, there was a fourth thing: do a little shiver dance on the lawn when you find yet another little blue robin egg shell all broken into and empty. Directive to the big, mean birds around here: "STOP eating the little blue robin eggs! Sad!"

But back to my story...

Now, granted, this system may work as splendidly as it does because I don't have another grown-up or any small-ups demanding anything from me, but don't let any jealousy you may have ooze out. That's a mess I don't want to clean up. 'Cause it's time to chill ;)

There are those weeks of insanity crammed with other commitments, of course, 'tis true. But this current come-home-system is makin' me pretty happy!

I may have just now embraced this new approach as a result of years of being conditioned that summer means I should not be working, or because my mom just retired and is doing exhausting things like going to lunch with friends and Disneyland with my dad. My brain thinks IT should be on vacation (permanent or otherwise), too!

There is also a new freedom about some things. Somewhere I did a post (maybe it was Facebook) last year about giving in and hiring a yard guy/gardener and admitting my utter disinterest and painfully slow learning curve regarding my yard. I love looking at the thing, but I feel no draw to do anything to it.

What a brilliant decision. It was part of a list of things I committed at the beginning of this year to NOT doing: I do not have to make myself learn to cook, love to garden, or be a better housekeeper. I am a working girl. There you go. "Freedom!" I cry, in my best William Wallace voice!

So, two or three chores, then chill! Ooh...I bet a Sonic Blast would help that along...ooh...

5 comments:

Michael Slusser said...

See, I run the opposite way: that would have worked for me when I was a kid, but as an adult I always feel flabby and sad when I don't do useful things when I get home.

Plus there's that darn problem of having aspirations which are little related to my job, so if I don't work outside of work, I'm failing at the important stuff...

Risa said...

Unfortunately, I think there are a few too many nights when I finally get home and do NOTHING "productive." (My messy apartment agrees with that statement.)

Bummer about the robin eggs. Sounds like perhaps you have a hawk afield somewhere? Of course, the culprit could very well be 4-footed and furry...

Both Fex said...

Coffee and cupcake then chill. ::slurp:: Works for me!

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

sonic... ahhhhh... oh how I wish!!!!... Ok MM, just say no to jealousy... just say no to jealousy...
Leave for language school tomorrow - YIKES ... right after church ... please keep me in prayers :-)

Joanna said...

Two thing is good. I like it. And they add up. You go girl!