Monday, October 23, 2006

Homesick Blues

It's just some blues, nothing worth raising a squawk about.

Things come in cycles. I had a whopping busy few weeks before I left for California, so not too much sad had a chance to take hold. I got a tummy-full of it on the Sunday before I went to California, while I was sitting in church with one of my favorite MAF families. Just came on all of a sudden. The last several days, by contrast, have been like a little ongoing homesick song playing in the background.

You know it's silly when you are throwing laundry into the washer and as you toss in your denim shirt, worn last at Sea World, you miss everyone.

Then I made the mistake of watching "Babe". I popped in the video last night, but only got as far as Babe getting to Hoggett Farm and sleeping his first night alone and spluttering out, "I want my mom." Had to turn it off. Made me cry.

Tonight I turned on the rest of it while I ate dinner. Got all sad when Hoggett gave away the sheepdog pups and Fly was missing them and Babe asked if he could call her Mom. Bummer. More homesick.

And I'm not embarrassed to want my mommy! I have a wonderful one! And a wonderful family. It doesn't mean they don't make the inside of my eyeballs itch sometimes, but they are my favorite people in the world. I miss having them around the corner. Life felt a little easier, and a little sweeter, that way. That's all.

I still wouldn't make a different decision about coming to Idaho, because it would have meant leaving MAF, saying "no" to Jesus, and missing all kinds of neat opportunities. It just turns out my tears aren't all done yet.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I wrote you this long comment, and then it had trouble posting it. Now it's lost forever. Bah!

Anyway, all I said was that I don't know if this is going to be encouraging or discouraging to you, but when I moved to Denver, I had those real strong feelings of homesickness for about a year to a year and a half. We even talked about moving back. After that amount of time, I felt like I started to settle in more. When I came out to visit, it felt more like I was visiting, and when I went back to Denver, it felt more like I was going "home." It was always hard to leave of course, but I felt like my home was really in Colorado. So, it takes a while. In the meantime, allow yourself your moments of homesickness. I have my moments of Kathiesickness :)

Kristin said...

Oh sister, I can so relate to how you're feeling. I've been out of CA, specifically the mountain, for a decade and I still miss it terribly and would love to return in a heartbeat if I could. BUT ! I wanted to share a little tidbit with you that may cheer you up - it's the next best thing to actually being there! See, there is this great thing you may not know about: did you know there are live mountain webcams? You can visit the mountains anytime you wish by going to mountaininfo.com. On the front page you'll see all the different webcam photos (Crestline, Blue Jay, Arrowhead) and you can click/enlarge any you wish. I actually added it to my Google homepage. When I get homesick (okay, almost every single day), I go there and the miles that separate, evaporate instantly. It's all live, so you're seeing real time pics. You could even ask Michael and your parents to call you the next time they're in front of the McDonald's in the Village and have them stand there in front - you will see them in 'real time', right there in the mountains! (you'd just need to refresh the page, of course.) We've actually done that several times with family members and I've found it a great boost for homesickness. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you didn't know about it ! Love ya !

Chris said...

I was just going to recommend more candy corn. Dang.