Sunday, January 06, 2008

Garlic and Cayenne

A word about my delving into home remedies for a sinus infection the past two days--SMELLY!

I got a cold that transitioned into my now-standard sinus infection every time I get the sniffles. One of my colleagues has a wonderful wife who makes all kinds of delicious, good-for-you food, so she and one of their daughters dropped off some soup and bread and oranges and zinc tabs to me at the house yesterday. The wife happened to mention that garlic is a natural antibiotic; she recommended taking a clove, slicing it up, crushing the slices between my back teeth and swallowing. Repeat every two hours. Six hours and three cloves later, I could barely stand the smell of myself. I stopped taking any more at 5:00 PM; I had to greet at church this morning and I was terrified that if I kept ingesting more, no one would make it inside the doors. Or they would think they had arrived at a deli instead of church.

My friend also told me about taking cayenne pepper for opening sinus passages, so I picked some up on the way home from church. One cup of boiling water, 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, half a teaspoon of cayenne and a dollop of honey later, this fascinating, tingly sensation started creeping up the right side of my head (the least congested side) and making its way across my cranium. It made me giggle a little. And a note about drinking cayenne pepper--keep stirring the drink between swallows. The cayenne doesn't actually dissolve, but rather all sinks to the bottom. Whoo-hoo!

I also dumped another half teaspoon of cayenne into my serving of soup this afternoon. Good heavens--I am one hot chick.

AND--some little elves came and shoveled my driveway while I was at church! We got a decent heap of snow last night, and this morning was quite the icy drive--I actually slid right through a 4-way-stop intersection on the way to church. Thank God no one was coming. When I got home, my driveway had been completely shoveled--the only house on the cul-de-sac!

Last but not least, for those of you who knew Marie and Tracie from the Bible study in Running Springs, or Razzbearies, or ACES, I had the fun of talking to Marie last night for almost two hours, and I somehow talked her and Tracie into starting a blog! Too cool! The new link is on the right--Tikkun Olam "For the Betterment of the World". They are doing great in Las Vegas and send their love!

2 comments:

orneryswife said...

It is so good to see you back blogging again! I have missed your posts, and hope to grow our friendship over the next year! This post is a RIOT! Dave and I both laughed until we cried. I hope you are feeling better.

Another home remedy, that is surely not as painful or as smelly as those you chose, is to put some drops of pure colloidal silver in your ears and nose. Position your body so it doesn't run out, and put a couple of drops in each orifice. (You'll need to do one side at a time.) It works remarkably quickly, and will actually kill an ear or sinus infection. Silver is a natural disinfectant, but you need to find pure silver sol, such as is sold by Nature's Sunshine.
Blessings!
TM

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.