Friday, January 04, 2008

Slickery

That's my cool new couch. Slickery. All these furniture places around here were having happy little end-of-the-year sales, so I bounced out and bought a new leather couch and chair. And, yeah, you can curl up in the corner of the couch and be really comfy, but unless you have a blankie or something to cuddle with, you'll eventually slide a little on the leather. I bet in the summer that won't happen :)

If you have been having trouble finding me, it's because I went under the radar after the holidays. It was a terrific, special, wonderful time to have Tony here and to travel to California, but it was also the busiest, most taxing holiday season I have ever had. I didn't want to miss a moment of it because I knew it was a unique experience in my life, and in the lives of my family and friends, quite honestly, but it about kicked the feet out from under me by the time Tony flew home on the 27th.

The short version of the Tony-Kathie story is that we will remain very close friends and colleagues, but we will not continue to pursue a romantic relationship. I feel a huge peace and leading from God about this, but it's still hard to watch Tony's heart hurt and of course I have some sadness myself. I think now that Tony has been back home for a little bit, he is in better shape as well--like a good introvert, the decision was a little tougher on him at first than it was me. But at the end of it all, we do both feel this is God's leading, and that's what we want most.

We had lots of good talks and he had an awesome time with my family--ALL my family, grandparents and Sorensons included, the epitome of chaos. But it's the exact holiday chaos and fun I look forward to, so I am glad it was enjoyable for Tony, too. And he got to spill his broken heart to patient Holly--more than once. So, of course, I did her dishes--duh :)

Tony and I were able to share with one another a long list of blessings and things we learned about and grew in as a result of our relationship this year. God certainly used each of us in special ways in the other's life--including me actually being able to say aloud now, "I think I would like to be married. Hmmm. Who knew?"

So, all you little dears who have been praying surreptitiously for years can do it overtly now. Knock yourselves out ;)

I give thanks to God for a gift over this past year that opened my heart to new things. And TONS of thanks to friends and family who were amazingly supportive during every variation of my emotional state possible. When I said to Liann this week, "I wonder if I am processing all of this change all right. I have had moments of sadness and pondering, but I haven't really melted down. I hope I'm processing okay," she said, "Good grief, you processed ALL YEAR! You're fine!"

Whew. I am fine. And happy on my slickery couch.

3 comments:

Corrina said...

Can't wait to sit on your slickery couch.

Good job being molded this past year!

I love you!

Liann said...

That Liann girl sounds really smart.... and hot :-) You are more than fine and I am awed by your example this past year of step by step walking in faith. I know, you're thinking-- "Reeee-ally, what choice did I have?" You could have bailed and made a mad run for safe, old, walled-in parts of your heart, but you didn't. And thus, God broke up some fallow ground and you have another green pasture in your life. I love ya. YAAAA. Thanks for sharing the journey dear one.

Christina said...

Kathie, I'm constantly in awe of you and your faith and your continuing walk. Thank you so much for sharing so much of it here. I'm sure there are times that you're thinking "If she only knew...", but really, it always does my heart good to read what you type out. Even if I don't often comment! I pray that God will continue to give you peace, as I know it is still hard to close doors sometimes. Love you, sorry we didn't get to see you. I think you should come out again around May 10!!!