Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Just the Truth, Ma'am

What a wonderful reminder I had this weekend of gratitude for Godly community and the gift of people who speak truth into our lives and our privilege of speaking into the lives of others.

Last Wednesday I got a phone call from a friend who was in a miserable, dark place in her soul. My dear Lianni had hit a really tough spot. Tough enough that reality and some truths about God and family and friends and life were all twisted up. Tough enough that I said, "So, you getting on a plane to come up here or am I coming down there? You pick. Right now."

She flew up Saturday morning. How generous God was to arrange a three-day weekend when time to talk, pray, confront, pray, decompress, pray, cry, pray, sleep, pray, laugh, and pray was so desperately needed.

One of the things that just amazed me was that so much of what we talked about was just truth. Liann loves the Lord so, so much, and is educated and experienced and intelligent and open, but lately the the truth about some things had just gotten lost and replaced with horrible distortions of reality. Distortions that were cutting her to the quick. Darkness that was making it feel impossible for light to come in and bring hope.

Almost from the first moments of conversation in the airport, and actually even from the phone call on Wednesday, Liann started to feel better. But, quite frankly, I was not saying anything particularly brilliant or insightful. All I was telling her was the truth. Truth about God's care, human relationships, her value in God's eyes, how deeply she is loved by those who know her, and some truths about herself. I was just a voice that was blessed to remind her of things she already knows, but somehow they had gotten buried or lost. And of course, a little layer of grime covering up truths makes a perfect ground for Satan to start piling on miles of muck and confusion and creating quite a pit. Man, what a thrill to watch the simplicity of God's perfect truth blast a way open so quickly.

After I dropped her off at the airport Monday morning, I started to get all choked up on the drive back to my office. I thought back to last March when I felt so very lost and took shelter in Newberg at the home of friends who heard my hurt, and told me to come out there. They gave me permission to get off my "service is all I know how to do and what can I do for you to bless you and show God I love Him" ride, and be open to be loved and tended to and healed. God opened a space of time for me to hear truths I didn't know I needed, be refreshed in the Spirit, shake off some grime, and see new windows of light for the first time in ages.

How precious to have had the opportunity to be the home of respite this weekend for God to act and move for my amazing Lianni. I am overwhelmed at the blessing our friendship has been to one another over the past 15 years, and how God has used us in one another's lives to reveal Himself, both through some incredible highs and lows, and just through everyday moments. We are so not worthy, but He is so stunningly gracious.

From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.--John 1:16

3 comments:

orneryswife said...

I hope I have a friend as true as you when I need one as badly as your friend needed you! Thank you for sharing that sweet story of friendship and God's love and truth, with all the power that comes from the revealing of it.
TM

orneryswife said...

I tagged you for a meme here:
http://thoughtsfrommillermanor.blogspot.com/2008/01/rhonda-tagged-me-for-this-meme-and.html
If you want to play, I would love it!
TM

Corrina said...

That was such a good weekend for her. Good job taking care of her Slussy. We love you a lot a lot