Monday, October 20, 2008

Back In The Closet

Guess who's back in the closet? My suitcase!

She's been busy the last couple months (I don't think I knew until I typed it just now that my suitcase was a girl...hmmm). A visit to the mountain in late August, my reunion in late September, eleven days on a ministry support trip in October. Truth be told, she hadn't been back in the closet since I came home in August (my mom just got a shiver...Kathie's not putting things away...eek). When I come home from a trip, she usually gets parked at the foot of my bed
(suitcase; not Mom) in front of a wooden chest my grandfather made. Full of a mix of stuff I need right away and some stuff that I never need unless I travel, items get kind of spewn out as necessary and it can take a bit for me to get everything back in place. And, yes, Mom, that's because I don't make it a priority, I know.

She's seen a lot, this sturdy brown girl. She might need a name. Any thoughts? If I remember right, Liann picked her out (and the little guy that accompanies her) for me when I realized how I needed really sturdy luggage for traveling overseas so often, and something that did not stand out but was a bit different so I could pick it out as mine. I felt incapable of making a final decision (sound familiar?) and I think Liann trotted off to the Galleria at Riverside to their luggage store or something. It wasn't cheap, but she has been the tough thing I needed. She's a little worse for the wear these days; a zipper pull missing, serious scratches, a little shredding at the corners, and the handle-pull-thingy doesn't like going up and down so much anymore--you gotta really tug and push. So, she only travels Stateside these days, but she's my faithful pal!

A friend bought me the luggage tag below for Christmas one year. It's an excellent deterrent to the TSA guards, I am sure :)



Blessings on all the people who have hauled, shoved, pulled, and lugged this thing when I have come to visit and she is loaded to the hilt. Up stairs, down stairs, up driveways, down driveways, in and out of cars of people nice enough to fetch me at the airport over and over. She's back in the closet for the moment (no travel until Christmas, I think!), but the memories stay out here with me :)

I know, I just did a whole blog post about my suitcase. Deal ;)

7 comments:

Chris said...

It's not a perfect fit, but I vote she be named "Xena"

Anonymous said...

my suitcase comes out tomorrow..for a trip to Fresno, then B'ham, then Taipei, then Sedona, then Chicago, the Thailand, then ? I think it will get put away between trips. It may not always arrive with me, but hopefully it will arrive shortly! Hey--December isn't too far off. Enjoy being home!

Michael Slusser said...

I was thinking Thelma, actually. Something about the two-syllable short-"a"-vowel-ended names keeps cropping up...

Kathie said...

Like my "strong Russian woman" friend, Masha, I am noticing...

Michael Slusser said...

Yeah, but you can't name your suitcase "Masha." That would be weird, especially when you went to stay with her... :)

orneryswife said...

Well, I don't really know of a good name for the suitcase, but I am pretty sure it's a girl since you wouldn't really want a male suitcase hugging your underwear, would you? I mean, really!

Liann said...

I don't know why, but I think her name is Hannah...as in the Marches' loyal servant.