Monday, October 13, 2008

Up too late, but...

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
I am confident some will find this too trivial to be inspired by the above verse, but it feels apropos tonight. Want to know some lovely things from today?
  • Masha and Matthew always know the best restaurants. Last night was Cafe Pro Bono, and an order of Susan's Downfall, which are cheese and herb raviolis with Gorgonzola and toasted almond sauce. Oh...my...goodness. If there had not been bread to mop up the extra sauce, I swear I would have licked the plate clean right there in the middle of this lovely, homey, Italian restaurant. Tonight was dinner at Shiva's, an Indian restaurant, and the loveliest Chicken Tikka Masala I have every tasted. I always eat too much at Indian, Mediterranean and Indonesian places...happy misery.
  • We had Masha's homemade blini (like crepes) for breakfast this morning. Yes, I do come home 8 pounds heavier after being at their place.
  • I got Masha completely hooked on DRY Soda Lavender. She calls it lemonade and whines now when she isn't holding a bottle in her hand.
  • She and I took a lovely walk today through Shoreline Park and Lake, and watched a brave squirrel try to stare down a huge Canadian Goose. Hilarious.
  • A trip to Trader Joe's for Kathie to sotck up before driving home to Idaho! And since I was driving and not flying, I could buy fun, liquidy things.
  • The three of us watched "Young@Heart". Soooo good. Inspiring, funny, touching, cheer-inducing. If you liked "Mad Hot Ballroom" one bit, you have to see this. Even if not, see it. It'll make you love or miss your grandparents in a wonderful, goofy-smile, teary-eyed way.
It's not all fun and games, though.

Even as I typed this, Masha brought me some mochi ice cream to try. Apparently her brother-in-law calls it "ice cream with skin". I heartily agree...oh, the shivers of gelatinous goo I tried to keep in my mouth without screaming. My poor mouth...it was trying to find it's way to the yummy ice cream but there is this barrier that bounces like thick pudding skin slinking its way around. Oy.

Now, remember, Masha is also the one who gave me horse milk (3-day fermented mare's milk) to drink in Kazakhstan...she can be dangerous. But the blini always makes me forget this. Darn. I guess I shouldn't feel badly that she was making me laugh and I almost splattered it at her.

There were actually many precious things to think on this past week as I visited with supporters and friends. Just a few more tonight before trying to sleep:
  • Sitting at the counter in the Slaters' kitchen, eating just-baked, warm cookies and drinking a cold glass of milk. It's even a sweeter picture since the invite came delivered to me out at the guest room by Maesie, who stood in the doorway in a little apron, half a cookie in each hand, some chocolate on her face, announcing, "The cookies are here, the cookies are ready!" as if this happens in my world every afternoon at this time, and I was missing it!
  • Visiting friends who live in a cottage behind people who own a rescued donkey. The donkey, "Consuelo" (to protect the innocent), has "adopted" my friends as though they are her pack. The slightest movement from them that she can hear, or the glimpse of one of them, brings the loudest bray I have ever heard, and the most hysterical "hee-haw" noise for at least 20 seconds, slowly diminshing in volume. I loved it! I also loved my friend's delicious lunch and heart-to-heart talk. Good soul food.
  • Visiting other friends who used to live on the mountain but have moved to Cool, and reminiscing with them about their kids and laughing much. It was a good, long evening of sharing and learning, laughing at ourselves and being grateful for God's never-ending variety of people around the world.
  • Sharing with new churches and a home fellowship, and finding unique, humbling, gracious kindred hearts to talk with. You would think I might be used to it by now, but I am always amazed at how God can weave the hearts and stories of people who have just met into something immediately special.
It's after midnight. Gotta be up at 5. Got lots to drive. Night, night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Consuelo" sends her love and so do we.... happy trails and may God's love shine on you as you focus on the true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. May I, too.

love you,
K & L

Both Fex said...

Mochi=wrong. I want to like it, but just can't get over the mouth feel. ::shivers::