Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What? Me, it? No, you don't say?

If you wait long enough to play, you can have six people tag you and you can feel all special. Never mind that it's a math thing and people were running out of people to tag. I AM special! Leave me in my happy place, will ya?

Here are the rules:
1. Post the rules on your blog
2. Write 6 random things about yourself
3. Tag 6 people at the end of your post
4. If you are tagged, just do it, and pass the tag along!


1) I have a complete weakness for fried green tomatoes. I have been in heaven up here all summer having beautiful, red tomatoes given to me from people's gardens (I joked that I have put myself in a sub-category of widows and orphans: "old maid who doesn't know how to grow stuff and you should let me glean your fields"--ha!). It's been a delicious summer, but the best part is getting GREEN tomatoes, and I got a big bag from my Idaho Nancy last Friday (yes, I have an Idaho Nancy and a California Nancy; everyone should).

I have gotten decent at frying them with bread crumbs (I can't get the cornmeal to work out well for some reason), and the house smells all bacony and wonderful. What I am really eating is memories of my Grandma Quack-Quack making breakfast in the trailer on camping trips when I was kid. Eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, and fried green tomatoes. I am not crazy; I am just a nostalgia foodie.

2) Some folks know this, but I churn out one sigh of contentment after another when I have two beverages at a meal: one hot, one cold. Breakfast should always have coffee AND water or juice. Even a new heavenly Starbucks Salted Caramel Signature Hot Chocolate should have a bottle of water nearby. (If you click the link, just read the delectable description of the drink; do NOT read the nutritional info--weeping will ensue.)

3) I am horrified at the amount of clothing I own. When I moved into this house, I had a moment when I was elated: "Hey, all my stuff fit in that walk-in closet in the master bedroom! Cool!" Two seconds later I wrinkled my nose and said, "Oh. Normally two people would have stuff in there. Ugh."

4) I have noticed several moments in the last couple months when I can no longer either interpret or read my own handwritten notes. I will jot some short-hand note for myself, and look at it later and have NO idea what I intended to remember when I wrote it. I actually showed something on my notepad to a guy next to me in a meeting the other day: "You know what I wanted to talk about? What does this sentence mean?" Or, I will write something that I simply can't read--it's swirls and loops, but darned if I can tell what word it was supposed to be. "I know the goat is a roady tart..."

5) I have come to despise mints and gum. I can't stand the ultra-overpowering mint flavor in my mouth, and gum loses its flavor after like 20 chews, I swear. I will chomp a Peppermint Lifesaver as fast as I can, or tolerate a stick of cinnamon gum for a bit for the sake of those around me, but it's not fun at all. I have noticed, though, that keeping the gum in the same pocket in my purse as my wallet makes for a nice cinnamony-leather scent when I grab my ATM card...

6)
Though I love the place where I grew up, I confess to a level of giddiness that when I go to the grocery store in a town bigger than 12 people, I rarely run into anyone I know. Over two years into Idaho time, I just saw a person I knew for the first time last month. It's easier to hang out and check out every single ice cream flavor when you are pretty confident that one of your students, one of their parents, your elementary school teacher, your neighbor, or the nurse who took the "sample" you had to give at the doctor's office, isn't going to jump in and help you decide :)


Sorry if you find this ridiculous, but it's very necessary to pass the responsibility on :) And though I am not the first to tag any of you, you needn't put doing this on the level of importance of, say, filing your taxes or taking your vitamins. Participate if you wish!

Tagged by: Me bro, Marilyn, Beth, Matt, Christina, Risa

Tagging:
1. Holly
2. Rebekah
3. Corrina
4. Kristin
5. Liann
6. Mrs. Miller

2 comments:

orneryswife said...

huh. I used to be really addicted to those little pocket pack listerine mint things. Would still be except for the aspertame--wicked stuff that. So, now I just brush a bit more!

I'll post a list later, thanks for the invite--at least I THINK I'm the Mrs. Miller you tagged...
tm

Michael Slusser said...

I tagged you long ago, Ornery's Wife. Have I gone onto your "naughty" list for not posting often enough? :)