Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Note to Self

Contrary to my previously held opinion, yes, in fact, you can eat too many Girl Scout cookies.

Since I got back from Kenya, my eating habits have actually improved slightly. Maybe it was all the super-duper mango and pineapple. I suddenly crave lots of fruit and veggies, and for a while, sweet stuff and red meat was not overly appealing. That has changed back to normal of course, and I again long for prime rib and brownies, but I have been fairly well-behaved.

Enter this afternoon. For some reason, I suddenly hit the end of my rope about something in the office, and medicated my attitude by pounding, pretty much right in a row, four Tagalong Girl Scout cookies (the peanut butter patty kind).

First of all, these are not the best cookies, by any stretch. Liann loves them, so I bought a box mostly out of old roommate nostalgia and memories of shared cookie time in our house (and for anyone who does not know, Liann is a complete cookie-holic; if you need to bribe her to do anything, don't bother with cash--bring peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies and she'll totally cave in). Anyway, Tagalongs are okay, but they are a little on the greasy side. They leave a sort of slip-n-slide feel in your mouth that is not so nice.

Secondly, the wave of unwell that struck me about 10 minutes later, and lasted for a good couple hours, was not the medicated attitude I was looking for. Bleech--I felt like I was one of those kids at the carnival who gets their first good slam of cotton candy and stupidly climbs on the Tilt-a-Whirl right away. Kathie no likey.

So, boys and girls, watch yourselves and those you love during this GS Cookie Fest. Those little Brownies and Girl Scouties look all sweet standing outside the market when you come out the door, but beware the draw of eating a whole vacuum tube of Thin Mints at once. I know it seems so much easier to just finish the thing, but save some for later.

And I recommend that practice based on a previous note to self as well :)

3 comments:

Christina said...

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the cookies...I agree, they're pretty waxy, which is disappointing.

Since my eating habits have improved over the last month and a half (thank you Weight Watchers!), I've had difficulty with foods I'm not supposed to eat. I had some pepperoni, cheese, and crackers at class last Monday night. It was tasty, until 30 minutes later when the tumbly started rumbling...it's amazing what our bodies get used to!

I miss Thin Mints.

Devin Parker said...

On the other hand, you can down a roll of Thin Mints and not feel greasy and gross. Especially if you keep them in the freezer.

Not that I would have recently done such a thing.

A few times.

By the way, am I the only person who sees "Tagalogs" every time I look at the box? For the longest time I thought they were supposed to be some kind of Filipino cookie.

Risa said...

One can NEVER eat too many Samoas!! Toasted coconut, caramel, and chocolate... How can something so good be so bad for me??