Friday, December 19, 2008

Be Charlie Brown

Another thought from David Roper, written in October. My cubical buddy just sent it to me earlier this week after a chat we had. I liked it, but didn't quite know where to put it in my heart, if I really believed it, or if I could ever really do it.

Then a talk with a friend this morning proved it. It's true. It's better to be Charlie Brown than Lucy.
Paul insists that, “love believes all things.” If love errs, it errs in the way of credulity and trustfulness, almost to the point of naivety. Most of us are too guarded, too wary and suspicious.

"It does you no harm to be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, but it does you harm to be Lucy holding it" (Peter Kreeft). Don’t worry about being conned. It’s better to believe in someone and have your heart broken than to have no heart at all.

DHR
10.1.08
I have typed some ending here six times, trying to capture my gratitude and heart. It always comes out sounding small. It's not small.

I don't think I am like Lucy in yanking away the football, but I am certianly like Lucy in wanting to control things. Michael, like a wise Linus, could write a book about having a controlling, bossy older sister. I have noticed, though, that having to always be in control doesn't actually feel very nice in your spirit.

It's worth it to keep coming back to what you know should be good. Be Charlie Brown and bring your hope. Let go. Love believes all things. My heart is lighter and I am so grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown! May this Christmas and the new year be full of lots of fun kicking footballs. Thank you for being a brave woman who conquers fear and the desire to be in control to do amazing things....You are amazing!
love and hugs,
Linda