Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snowflake Breakfast

People are either going to stop reading this blog or someone is going to report me to the silliness police for being as giddy as I am about things like snow and breakfast. Remember, at least I own my dorkiness.

Ah, deep sigh, perfect morning. I have eggs and milk to use up before I leave, so I decided to make a batch of pancakes to freeze (when I come home, I have pretty high confidence that the toaster will still work...oh, please). The first two eggs I cracked open both had double yolks in them. Why is that so fun?
I get my eggs from friends who own chickens, so they are super fresh and I love how much orangier the yolks are when you stir them into batter...the look of it is so different than store-bought eggs. Makes me appreciate Beth's joy in cooking and the delight in it when you can do it at a leisurely pace. I set the double-yolks aside to be the fried eggs for the morning, and went forward with making pancakes and sausage and then the cute little four-yolk fried eggs. A fresh pot of coffee was ready, so steaming Christmas mug in hand and delicious breakfast on the couch were complimented by the lit tree and decorations and snow falling outside. The snow is heavenly; big and little flakes are dancing and floating around so long before they land that they look like they have tossed aside any concept of gravity. When they do finally land, it looks like they agreed to do it for the sake of decoration and making way for other flakes; the laws of physics and relativity would never be so rude on such a pretty morning as to yank anything so beautiful to the ground.

After breakfast, more joy in a call to Grandma Mel to sing happy birthday wishes, and a decision that those intricately decorated Christmas sugar cookies will get delivered to the neighbors on either side whose names I actually know and to the guy who snow plows the sidewalks and driveways of the cul-de-sac. I definitely want to stay friends with him. I don't care if he knows my name :) The rest of the cookies are MINE!


In anticipation of the lights at the Mission Inn, here are pictures from the Idaho Botanical Garden's Winter Garden Aglow 2008 event. Mumsey and Popsey and I went the night after Thanksigiving and sipped cider and snapped pictures and wandered the very cold but very festive grounds.

And as always, Mommmy and I were reminded that we are very, very white. The flash on a camera brings it out sooooo nicely :)








Hooray for Christmas lights and cold nights!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea for friends and willing hearts, for Christmas trees and lights, smiles and yummy cookies in snowstorms. Enjoy your wonderful Christmas--we send Merry Christmas hugs to you!

Love,
K & L