Sunday, November 02, 2008

Eh Gad!

I have the nicest memories of making fudge with my Grandma Mel. I remember being little and being in her kitchen in the house on Moon Drive, and all happy and chatty with Grandma while we made one of her favorite treats (and mine!), some with walnuts and some without.

I have vague memories about the ingredients. Marshmallow creme, chocolate, evaporated milk, something, something.

Today I made Alton Brown's Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese. It calls for 6 ounces of evaporated milk, and I always wind up with the other 6 from the can going bad in the fridge; I can never use it fast enough. In fact, I never use evaporated milk except when I make this recipe. Today I decided, enough. There must be something to make with that silly other 6 oz.

I Googled "recipes '6 oz evaporated milk'". Of course, I found fudge. I found a recipe that needed the right amount of evaporated milk, told me how many big marshmallows I could cut up since I didn't have minis or creme, and could use chocolate chips instead of baking chocolate. We're in business!

I start cooking. Holy cow. So, fudge is sugar, sugar, sugar, and butter? And enough evaporated milk to make it kinda liquid I guess. I stirred 2 cups of sugar with 10 big marshmallows and added that to 8 ounces of chocolate chips and a full stick of butter--good heavens!

Guess I'll be taking a pan of fudge to unload on everyone else at work tomorrow! That thing certainly can't stay here alone with me...

3 comments:

orneryswife said...

But at least it doesn't have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it! Look on the bright side! :)
tm

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

I cannot believe that you mentioned Mac-n-cheese on this blogspot when you KNOW I read your blog :-) gigggle!!!!
As for getting it here???? I had a friend send over some boxes. She sent a huge care package. It didn't arrive and it didn't arrive. She had so many goodies in it and she kept asking ... is it there yet? It wasn't cheap to send. Finally it was returned to her - completely opened and beaten to death. It was returned because you cannot send 'CHEESE' across the border!!!!! Did anyone really think there is or ever has been any cheese in Kraft Mac N Cheese???????????? HUGS!
PS praising God for prying your hands open :-)

Both Fex said...

Lisa is a fudge goddess or would be if God allowed such things. She puts all sorts of fun things like candied ginger and orange zest in her fudge. Mmmmm... can't wait for Christmas.

FYI if you want to use up the evap without making fudgy love handles, pour it in your coffee. Or anywhere else you would use cream.