Sunday, November 30, 2008

Habby Gwanny

Grandma Mel got her back right molar pulled last Monday morning.

My very kind dentist called early that morning and said, "Of course we can't have her feeling badly! How about 10:00 AM today?" The whole drive to the dentist, Grandma kept saying, "I feel better, really. I think I'm fine."

When we arrived at the office I told the receptionist Granny said she felt better. The receptionist smiled. "Ah. We hear a lot of that around here."

After filling out paperwork and chuckling over which box to check about fear of dental work (Extreme, Moderate, or None), they call Granny back. Bud and I have a good chat while she is gone, sitting in my dentist's waiting room that is nicer than my living room...it's got a library!

Eventually I see my cute grandma heading our way, accompanied by a dental assistant who says that it's very good that we came in when we did; the tooth needed to come out. I am looking at Grandma, wondering exactly how many teeth they pulled; my goodness, her lower teeth are missing! It's then that I learn she has a partial, which is at the moment wrapped in a tissue in her hand. Whew!

She has a wad of gauze tucked in the back of her mouth where they yanked the molar, and a big grin across the front of her face. I have never seen a smile that big on someone who just had a tooth pulled and was numb on one side. Before I can even ask how she is, Grandma says, "Oh, I feo so mush bettew!"

"Really, Granny? It's okay?"

"Oh, dis waf wunneful! I feo so mush bettew!"

"You know, Grandma, if you feel that much better that quickly after having your tooth pulled, it must have really been bothering you."

"Weo, ifs been a widdle paifoo."

"Well, then I am glad we came. Do I have a happy Granny?"

"Oh, yef! Habby Gwanny!"

We came home, I made a sandwich for lunch for Bud, and Granny tucked little bits of doughnut into the still intact left corner of her mouth. Don't try to tell an almost-84-year-old what they should or should not eat. Just let them grin and munch pastry bits with their head cocked to one side, pretty blue eyes all a-twinkle. Kinda cute.

1 comment:

orneryswife said...

how funny! I'm glad she felt better. Nothing quite as miserable as trying to eat with a toothache...
tm