Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Six Years Today

Amazing. It's six years today since my first day with MAF. Within three months they sent me to Russia and Kazakhstan, and the crazy list of places I have been, things I have eaten, churches I have worshiped in, people I have met, and ways I have seen God work was launched.

As I ran down a hallway here at headquarters today to have a discussion about the role Learning Technologies might play in the job of a new family to MAF who are headed overseas to actually fill a different role, but heard about LT providing training for pastors and got very excited at the thought of having a part in it, I literally said aloud, "I have the weirdest job on the planet." My boss is on his way to England and Turkey, and here I am discussing some of his communication from a phone call and my input from meetings to help a committee make a decision about this family's life. Good heavens.

And then I get weepy. I think about the people I have met who live in places where staying fed is a struggle, staying warm is a luxury, and staying safe is a daily tightrope walk. Even when I am not traveling, I meet people who come through the doors at headquarters who live extraordinary lives of sacrifice, both here and abroad, and others who are getting their first safe start here in America. And those who are here for a time then headed back to walk lonely trails to remote villages so people might know that a man who was the incarnation of the very God who created them died on a cross and rose from the dead so they might live forever with him. They are deeply loved and they have been rescued. There is good news.

And God uses silly, easily distracted, sometimes too serious, sometimes not serious enough, not as smart as the next guy, me. He is so gracious to let me tag along to where he goes and where he sends. Thank you, Father. An unexpected life, indeed. Please cause me to live it well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has a sense of humor... and a sense of human nature. He calls David a man "after His own heart, yet knew in advance that David would fail miserably in his walk by being an adulterer and murderer. Moses, although trained in the University of Cairo, hid his "body of evidence" in the sand and had a horrible speach impediment (slow of tongue, e.g. a stutterer). Peter ran like the chicken who signaled his betrayal. Paul, Mr.Love and Understanding, who had it "my way or the highway" sent his sidekick Barnabus and his nephew, John Mark, packing to Jerusalem.
Perhaps it is in the discovery that we are indeed not up to the calling that makes us amenable to His work in our lives. I'm glad you see your total inadequacy... God can use that to demonstrate His power through you.
Pop

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 6 years! When are you going to come visit us in Lesotho?
joselyn

Chris said...

I agree with "Pop". That guy sounds pretty smart!

Jars of clay, broken so you can see the treasure inside.

Good stuff Kathie. Thanks for letting us all share in it.