Thursday, January 08, 2009

S'more pain, please!

Joy: The sleek, newly installed microwave got christened with a marshmallow and a graham cracker to make a s'more. Happy, happy food.

Pain: The meeting I was in at work, approximately 90 minutes after the installation, where the five men I was sitting with all said they would have been more than happy to install the microwave for me, saving me the $150 installation fee. It started with me mentioning that I had just arrived back in the office after being home to meet the installer.

Bill: "Oh, yeah, I just installed one of those."

Kathie: "One of those? As in an over-the-range microwave?"

Bill: "Yeah, for our daughter in California while we were there for Christmas."

Tom: Pointing at the housing units for visiting staff across the street, "You know how many of those things I put in over there?"

Mike: "Yeah, we could have created the space for you to have it put in, cabinets, erveything."

Kathie: "There already was a space."

Mike: "You mean you were just replacing one? Not adding a new one?"

Darryl: "That means it would have been really simple; the hardware was already there."

Kathie: "Well, um, he drilled some additional holes in the cabinet above..."

Bill: "It probably came with a cabinet install template."

Kathie: Voice rising, "There's this thing on my kitchen counter right now that says, 'Upper-cabinet template'!!!"

Tom: "Kathie, you have brothers here that you need to ask for help when you need it."

Kathie barely refrains from slamming head on table, blurts out, "Crap," instead (yes, in a meeting where I work), and wants to vomit.

I did ask for help for the garage door opener installation. Actually, I asked for Dave to look at the broken one. When he saw the condition of the gears, he offered to install the new one.

This microwave has a vent and a fan and a light and stuff...I wouldn't know what to do, so I don't even know how to ask help for what I don't know how to do. Uggghhh! Grrrrr! Arrrrggghhhh!

This post and the microwave shall serve as my $150 reminder TO ASK FOR HELP. I missed a chance to be a better steward with my money; one of my brothers missed a chance to bless me; I missed a chance to be blessed.

As Lara so beautifully said a couple of weeks ago, "I am learning to be imperfect." Amen, sister, amen.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm so glad those guys spoke up! Next time! But, it kind of felt like when you get your hair cut and someone comes up to you, and says, "I really liked your hair the way it was!" Ahhhh......:)

from one being transformed to perfection to another....

Love you,
me