Monday, January 12, 2009

There oughta be a website...

where you can pre-screen the food combinations you might put together before you actually consume them. Remember the unsuccessful ham-stacky-thingy-ma-doodles from 2007? I may have discovered tonight that ham is the enemy in any combo besides swiss cheese and fresh bread for a tasty sandwich. Oh, and my choice of eating trough may have contributed to the error tonight.

To start with, I have lots of lettuce to eat before my next trip. Lots. Last week, Fred Meyer had bags of salad on sale, 5 bags for $5. I had guests for dinner one night and I think we ate 1/2 - 3/4 of a bag. You can do the math about what's left for just little ol' me.

I decided tonight that I needed to get a move on with the remaining lettuce so it all gets consumed before I leave. And there's ham, too. So, chef salad seemed the natural order of the evening! Turned out all I really had around to put in the salad that was interesting to me tonight was shredded cheddar cheese and ham. And I wanted to eat LOTS of lettuce, so I used a mixing bowl instead of a plate for making my salad. And then it needed something crunchy...hmmm...crunchy. Pantry scan, pantry scan...no croutons, no really crunchy nuts...oh, wait! Peanuts! I have dry roasted peanuts in here!

Um, I don't think peanuts and ham were meant to be friends. But I didn't figure it out until I was near the end of the salad the size of a Crate and Barrel mixing bowl. And then, well, you're near the end...you might as well finish it up and be done with it, ya know?

Mistake. Kathie deeply unwell. Sitting very still for one hour on couch. No moving, please.

And no more making dinner to eat out of a mixing bowl. Bad idea. Mixing bowls are for mixing, not for eating out of. Unless they are full of cookie dough.

Oooohhh! Mmmmm...cookie dough...

No, no. Still too much misery. Must wait.

No comments: