Friday, January 23, 2009

Things That Appear in Bold Print

Don't you just love when you read something and parts of it leap off the page like they are in bold print, just for you? I read some Brennan Manning last night, and amidst the pleadings in this prayer, there were some that came neon-flashing off the page for me. Maybe there is something for you, too?

Even if not, I share anyway :) Plus, there is something therapeutic about typing things out for yourself...

True Poverty

Jesus, my Brother and Lord, I pray as I write these words for the grace to be truly poor before you, to recognize and accept my weakness and humanness, to forgo the indecent luxury of self-hatred, to celebrate your mercy and trust in your power when I am at my weakest, to rely on your love no matter what I may do, to seek no escapes from my innate poverty, to accept loneliness when it comes instead of seeking substitutes, to live peacefully without clarity or assurance, to stop grandstanding and trying to get attention, to do the truth quietly without display, to let the dishonesties in my life fade away, to belong no more to myself, not to desert my post when I give the appearance of staying at it, to cling to my humanity, to accept the limitations and full responsibility of being a human being--really human and really poor in Christ our Lord.

The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD
Lamentations 3:25-26

3 comments:

Michael Slusser said...

I'm not quite sure why (or maybe I am but I can't articulate it), but the phrase, "...not to desert my post when I give the appearance of staying at it..." resonates with me. I feel like I'm doing that much of the time.

razwold said...

whoa. bold print indeed. thank you for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

"...to forgo the indecent luxury of self-hatred..." I have to ponder that for a bit.

Bonni